- Pullman-Moscow Regional Airport
- Lewiston-Nez Perce County Regional Airport
- Spokane International Airport
- Schoepflin Airport in Palouse
- Private airports throughout the region
- Several major motor freight companies service Whitman County.
- Numerous local and regional trucking companies offer service connecting the Palouse to the Pacific Northwest hub and beyond.
- State Highway 26 connects Whitman County to Interstate 90 and the Seattle Metro area to the west.
- State Highway 195 connects to destinations north and south.
- State Highway 270 connects the major retail areas of Pullman, Washington and Moscow, Idaho.
- Nearly 2,000 miles of county roads are maintained by county road crews and connect communities throughout the region.
Inland Port Facilities
- The Port of Whitman manages industrial sites in Pullman and Colfax and on-water facilities at the Port of Wilma near Clarkston, Port of Central Ferry and at the Port of Almota. The latter three offer access to shipping on the Columbia / Snake River system.
- Commercial railway access serves many areas in Whitman County.
- Whitman County – 42,700
- Pullman – 28,860
- Colfax – 2,905
- Palouse – 1,020
- Tekoa – 835
- Other rural communities range from 100 to 650
Whitman County Labor Market
- Labor Force – 21,570
- Number Employed – 20,620
- Number Unemployed – 830
- Unemployment Rate – 3.5%
- Per Capita Income – $35,589
- Educational Attainment, age 25+ – 52% college grad with degree
- Government – 51%
- Services – 19%
- Wholesale, Retail, Trade – 11%
- Manufacturing – 7%
- Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing – 3%
- Construction – 2%
- Financing, Insurance – 2%
- Transportation – 2%
- Other – 2%
- Real Estate, Rental, Leasing – 1%
Climate & Location
- Elevation – ~2,300 feet (varies)
- Whitman County Area – 2,159 square miles
- Annual Rainfall – ~16 inches (varies)
- Average Summer High Temperature – 68º F
- Average Winter High Temperature – 37º F
- Washington State Patrol, Whitman County Sheriff, and local police departments provide police coverage throughout the county.
- Fourteen separate Fire Districts and two city Fire Departments operate in Whitman County.
- Emergency Medical Technicians and First Responders operate ambulances out of most locations.
- Ambulances make runs to Pullman, Colfax and Spokane hospitals.
- Air ambulance service is available out of Spokane.
- Calls are routed through WHITCOM, a regional Enhanced 911 service, located at the Port of Whitman’s Pullman Industrial Park.
- Pullman Regional Hospital
- Whitman Hospital and Medical Center in Colfax
- Gritman Medical Center in Moscow, Idaho
- Palouse Health Center in Palouse
- Medical Clinics, Assisted Living, and Nursing Home Facilities exist in numerous locations throughout the county.
Source: Southeast Washington Economic Development Association (www.seweda.org)